Outline of Mobility Innovation Alliance Japan
Japan faces challenges such as a declining population, uneven distribution of settlements, energy security issues, climate change and intensifying disasters.
There is a need to increase productivity, create new industries, strengthen international competitiveness and realize happiness in people`s daily lives through the social implementation of new mobility such as automated driving and realization of diverse data linkages and utilizations.
The Mobility Innovation Alliance Japan was established with the aim of becoming “a member-led organization that launches innovative mobility-related technology development and social implementation”.
It takes over the activities of the Alliance for Promoting Mobility Innovation(*), a collaboration between academics from 23 universities and public research organizations, which was a part of the second phase of the Strategic Innovation Programme (SIP) “Automated Driving (Extension of Systems and Services)” under the Cabinet Office, Government of Japan.
Towards mobility innovation, we will address to;
- Formulate cross-sectoral academic activities for mobility innovation
- Study and make proposal on cross-ministerial policy and social infrastructure
- Create collaboration opportunities bridging diverse researchers, industries and public sectors
- Promote international joint research through international workshop in Japan
- Integrate technologies and societal changes for mobility innovation
- Foster young researchers and start ups by holding contests and awards
The Association holds SIP-adus Workshop 2022(*2) in Kyoto in October 2022, with Cabinet Office (Government of Japan), NEDO, and Doshisha University.
The Association also organizes “Mobility Business Innovation Contest”(*3) which will be held as a side event of SIP-adus Workshop 2022, with Mobility Innovation Collaborative Research Organization, The University of Tokyo (UTmobI) and Mobility Research Center, Doshisha University.
Date of establishment : July 1st, 2022
Location : Cw501, Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505 Japan
Representative Director : Hajime Amano (Former ITS Japan President, former visiting professor of the University of Tokyo)
Vice Representative Director : Prof. Yoshihiro Suda (Director, Mobility Innovation Collaborative Research Organization, The University of Tokyo (UTmobI))
Director (in alphabetical order) :
– Prof. Hiroaki Miyoshi (Faculty of Policy Studies, Doshisha University)
– Prof. Takayuki Morikawa (Professor, Institutes of Innovation for Future Society, Global Research Institute for Mobility in Society, Nagoya University)
– Prof. Takashi Oguchi (Director, Advanced Mobility Research Center, Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo)
– Takahiko Uchimura (Project Researcher, Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, former ITS Japan Senior Vice President)